First things first!! Sorry I decided to take a blogging hiatus. Work has been quite busy and now that my stress fracture is 98.435% healed, I have been back to Crossfit and life! Lots of bike rides downtown to the farmer’s market and for holiday shopping. It is amazing how I keep myself so busy when I do not have to wear a dumb boot shoe thing, haha.
On my blogging break, I did read a book which was free on Amazon prime (which was the only reason I decided to read it). It is entitled “The Low Carb Revolution: Why the Secret to Losing Weight is to Fall Back in Love With Yourself!” by John McLean (I think that is his real name!). I am not a huge proponent of low carb diets, because fruits and vegetables have carbs, and you should be eating those. However, I must say the book was very well done and had great advice. The first part of the book talks about food and nutrition, while the second half of the book talks about how to love thyself. I almost skipped reading the 2nd half of the book, because I do not really enjoy books that preach how much you should love yourself and your body, blah blah blah. However, since I was traveling and it was the only book I had downloaded on my Kindle at the time that I had not read, I decided to read Part 2. I am glad I did because it also had good advice.
My 5 takeaways from the book:
- “JERF” – Just eat real food coined by Sean Croxton
- “The food you eat can be either the safest and most powerful form of medicine, or the slowest form of poison.” – Dr. Ann Wigmore
- “The Less we cook, the more we eat. – The more time people devote to food preparation at home, the lower their rate of obesity.”
- “Eat all the junk food you want that you cook yourself.”
- “As recently as the 1980’s, when the obesity level was 2.5%, Americans spent 15-25% of their income on food. In 2010, that number is 9%.”
If you have a bit of time over your holiday break, read this book. It does not tell you that you never can eat carbs again, but gives key pieces of advice for making you a healthier person.
Happy Holidays to everyone!
~ Savannah FitNut aka Morgan McNeal