I started my new job, and since then, I have been one busy bee. I travel every week and not to the same place. I was in Ohio, then California, then Texas, and someplace new next week. I am enjoying the new challenge, but eating healthy on the road can be very tough. I am doing well though. Preparation is the key! Usually, when I fly out, I pack turkey burgers, grilled chicken, tuna packets, hard boiled eggs, and some vegetables. I can bring them through security, because nothing is a liquid. Once I have landed in my destination, I will try to find the closest grocery store and stock up on some healthy items: water, salad, salsa, guacamole, cucumbers, zucchini, etc.
The hardest part of traveling has probably been when I am returning home. I am tired, and do not have food to pack in my bag, and thus, only have airport food to turn to. Although I must say at a recent layover in Atlanta, I had an orange salad that was amazingly delicious. I tried to replicate it.
Orange Salad with Toasted Almonds
4 Medium Oranges
1 cup dried dates, chopped
½ cup slivered almonds
¼ cup Olive Oil
1 TBSP Lemon Juice
¼ tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp ground cardamom
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- While the oven is heating, peel oranges, ensuring you remove the pith. Cut the oranges into thin slices.
- In a small bowl, combine olive oil and lemon juice. Whisk to combine.
- In the preheated oven, place almonds on a greased cookie sheet in a single layer. Place in oven to toast (be sure to check on them every couple minutes, you do not want to burn them!). Toasting should take between 5-10 minutes. You want a nice golden brown color.
- After the almonds are toasted, combine oranges, toasted almonds, olive oil, lemon juice, dates, cinnamon and cardamom and toss lightly.
~ Savannah FitNut aka Morgan McNeal