Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Introducing Savannah FitNut

My first blog post!! Ahhh, I am doing it. I love reading other people’s blogs about fitness and nutrition. They have so many good ideas, great tips, and lots of yummy recipes. So, why am I starting a blog? Because I can! Also, because I think I have a lot of good ideas, tips, and recipes to share with everyone. A little bit about me…. I am a 29-year old female living in Savannah, GA. I am originally from Lambertville, NJ (very small town outside of Princeton, NJ), went to school in Pennsylvania for engineering, worked in PA for 5 years, decided I needed a change, and opened up my options. Received a job offer in August 2011 and here I am, in the good ol' South. I live with my husband and our plants, that I cannot seem to keep alive (the plant, not the husband, haha!).

Now to the fitness side of my life. My mom is an aerobics instructor and has been for as long as I can remember. She went to college for dance, but when I came along, turned to an aerobics instructor instead. Since the time the gym would actually let me take classes ( I think 14 years old), I remember always going to the gym with her to take her classes, whether step, pilates, or toning classes. I played sports throughout high school (field hockey, basketball, softball, and cross country), and even though I was never a super star, I enjoyed the competition.
Fast forward to college and I stayed relatively active, taking some classes at the gym here and there, and running a few 5K’s. After college though, is when I really started to pursue fitness activities and realized my passion for them. I became a Les Mills certified RPM instructor and a certified Pilates instructor. I also started to pursue more races and other activities I had never done. I first completed sprint triathlons and longer distance races, 5 mile races, then half marathons. In 2011, I completed my first Olympic triathlon and also completed my first marathon. I ran the Chicago marathon in 3:56, just 4 minutes shy of breaking 4 hours, which was my ultimate goal.

Now to present day…. I have been doing Crossfit for 4 months now and I love it. It is challenging and so varied, you never know what your WOD (workout of the day) is going to be. I am also training for an 11-mile trail run and the Savannah Rock-N-roll half marathon in November.
So, there, I love fitness. I like challenging my body and enjoy that feeling I have after a good workout. However, I not only enjoy fitness, but I enjoy nutrition because after all, you need food for fuel. Hence, the name of my blog… Savannah FitNut…. as in fitness and nutrition, not separate entities, but going hand-in-hand. I am sure you have heard it before, but it is really important and as I continue my journey with fitness and nutrition, I want to share the things I learn along the way with all of you. Ultimately at the end of the day, I am just your average FitNut!

~ Morgan McNeal

1 comment: