Thursday, March 28, 2013

Spicy Turkey Burgers with Bacon


Only 4 more days of the Paleo Challenge!  That went really fast.  Not sure what my end results will be, but it has been fun.  I did eat and drank non-Paleo items on St. Patrick’s Day, but other than that, I stuck with it.  I have tried quite a few new recipes and really loved reading about everything all the other members of the challenge were cooking up in their kitchens.  I retested on a workout I completed at the beginning and I shaved two and a half minutes from my time.  Not too bad!  I also have noticed my sleep quality has been improving.   I need to come up with a new challenge now…. Any ideas?  Maybe a running challenge?

Now, let’s talk about the weather.  I am ready for warm weather.  I know it is not even April yet, but I moved south for a reason, haha.  60 degree days are just not where I need it to be.  70’s is where I like it.  I want to be able to run in the mornings in shorts and a tank top.  I am ready to retire my long sleeves for a little while (you know, for the next 6 months).  My husband and I are going to start planning our garden this weekend (you read that right, it said “plan” not “plant” – 1 step at a time).  The “plan” is to plant tomatoes, cucumbers, squash, peppers, and a variety of herbs.  I will provide photo updates. 

One thing I love about living in Georgia is we use our grill all year long.  But, there are some nights I need to cook inside and turkey burgers are one of those items that turn out well in the frying pan.  This is a very easy recipe and very tasty.  Enjoy!

Spicy Turkey Burgers with Bacon
Ingredients
4 slices bacon
1 lb Lean Ground Turkey
1 can diced green chilies
1 egg
2 TBSP HOT salsa
½ tsp cumin
½ tsp garlic powder
½ tsp onion powder
Salt, pepper to taste

Instructions
  1. In a bowl, mix all ingredients.  If you have time, put the bowl in the fridge for about 10 minutes.  This makes it easier to form and the burgers stay together a little better.
  2. Cook your bacon (any way you would like – stove top, oven, or microwave). 
  3. Get out your frying pan and turn it to medium heat.  Allow the pan to heat up.  Spray it with olive oil. 
  4. Form burger out of your mixture and cook until the center is no longer pink.
  5. Serve burger and crumbled bacon over greens with avocado and salsa.


~ Savannah FitNut aka Morgan McNeal

No comments:

Post a Comment