Friday, November 1, 2013

Airport Food

I started my new job, and since then, I have been one busy bee.  I travel every week and not to the same place.  I was in Ohio, then California, then Texas, and someplace new next week.  I am enjoying the new challenge, but eating healthy on the road can be very tough.  I am doing well though.  Preparation is the key!  Usually, when I fly out, I pack turkey burgers, grilled chicken, tuna packets, hard boiled eggs, and some vegetables.  I can bring them through security, because nothing is a liquid.  Once I have landed in my destination, I will try to find the closest grocery store and stock up on some healthy items: water, salad, salsa, guacamole, cucumbers, zucchini, etc.


The hardest part of traveling has probably been when I am returning home.  I am tired, and do not have food to pack in my bag, and thus, only have airport food to turn to.  Although I must say at a recent layover in Atlanta, I had an orange salad that was amazingly delicious.  I tried to replicate it.



Orange Salad with Toasted Almonds

Ingredients
4 Medium Oranges
1 cup dried dates, chopped
½ cup slivered almonds
¼ cup Olive Oil
1 TBSP Lemon Juice
¼ tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp ground cardamom

Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. 
  2. While the oven is heating, peel oranges, ensuring you remove the pith.  Cut the oranges into thin slices.
  3. In a small bowl, combine olive oil and lemon juice.  Whisk to combine.
  4. In the preheated oven, place almonds on a greased cookie sheet in a single layer.  Place in oven to toast (be sure to check on them every couple minutes, you do not want to burn them!).  Toasting should take between 5-10 minutes.  You want a nice golden brown color.
  5. After the almonds are toasted, combine oranges, toasted almonds, olive oil, lemon juice, dates, cinnamon and cardamom and toss lightly.
  6. Enjoy!


~ Savannah FitNut aka Morgan McNeal



No comments:

Post a Comment