Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Down and Out! :(


On a somewhat cool morning a few weeks ago, my husband and I went for a little morning run.  We were about 2.5 miles in, when my left foot had this extremely sharp pain.  I could not run the rest of the way home.  I hobbled/limped home and scheduled a doctor’s appointment that morning.  The doctor took x-rays of my swollen foot, told me the x-ray did not show a stress fracture, and prescribed no running for two weeks plus RICE. 

For the next two weeks, I did not run, I continued to do a few modified WODs, and did a little bit of the stationary bike.  When I walked, I limped, but thought it would get better.  Fast forward to yesterday, I was at the Georgia Foot and Ankle Institute.  The doctor performed another x-ray on my swollen foot and this time on the x-ray was evidence of a stress fracture!  I was so sad to hear that news.  The doctor gave me my stylish post op shoe and instructed me to use crutches as much as possible for the next 4-6 weeks.  He said the less I do, the better and the faster the healing process.  Instantly, I thought of all the things I will not be able to do for the next 4-6 weeks.  No Mud Run, no 11-mile trail run, no Savannah half marathon, and no Paleo Challenge WODs.  I am not going to lie, I cried a little.... okay, a lot!  No running for 4-6 weeks!  I cannot remember the last time I went that long without running.

My Super Sexy Shoe for the Next 4-6 Weeks.... It definitely DOES NOT go with my outfits!


Where does this leave me?  Well, I guess I have two choices, I can be depressed and mope around for the next 6 weeks, or I can use this downtime as an opportunity to do other things.  Yesterday, I moped around, felt sorry for myself, and read about 50 articles on the healing process of stress fractures (which according to about 49 of those articles, the best process to heal a stress fracture is rest, bleh!)  But today, I stopped being Ms. Mopey Pants (my husband’s nickname for me when I mope around the house), and decided to focus on the things I will do for the next 4-6 weeks. 

I WILL:
-          Continue to eat Paleo for the duration of the challenge
-          Post yummy Paleo recipes on my blog
-          Stationary bike three times/week (Doctor said this is okay)
-          Stay off my foot as much as possible and use my crutches
-          Read Nutrition books on my Kindle

Here is hoping for a speedy Recovery!

~ SavannahFitNut aka Morgan McNeal

2 comments:

  1. If you want to borrow some dumbells, we can give you some seated shoulder press/ incline bench press type stuff to do. I think you would feel like you were maintaining upper body so when you come back to CF it's not totally craptown.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that would be great!! I was just starting to use the purple band for pull-ups! :)

      Delete