Monday, November 26, 2012

A Wonderful Thanksgiving Break

Wow, what a great Thanksgiving break.  No traveling, no shopping, no work …. Just friends, food, and fun!  Our friends graciously hosted Thanksgiving at their house and it was wonderful.  Everyone brought different dishes over and we had enough food to feed about 30 people… there were 7 of us, haha.  The healthy part of me made two dishes: zucchini cakes and sweet potato mash (sweetened only with apple juice).  I must say I did eat a fairly healthy Thanksgiving meal… turkey, zucchini cakes, sweet potato mash, and a piece of my husband’s Italian bread.  My unhealthiness arose from the drinking portion…. Wine and some random delicious concoctions my friend made for me.

Some of you may be asking “Why eat healthy on Thanksgiving?  It is the one day of the year where you can eat as much as you want…..”  Blah, blah, blah.  I have a funny way about the holidays.  I do not decide two weeks prior whether or not I am going to eat healthy for a particular meal.  When the holiday arrives, I decide right then and there if I want to indulge or not.  It is not a well thought out decision.  I eat the crap if I want and that’s that.  On to my updates:

Update on the foot:  The foot is feeling good.  I ran a few 0.25 mile stints this week and it felt fine.  I am being extremely cautious still.  I am jump roping, but not too much and also doing burpees, which who does not enjoy those?!?

Update on Eating:  Paleo Challenge is over.  I went to the grocery store and bought crackers and felt like my hand was going to start burning when I picked up the box or a little monster was going to jump out of the shelf and scream at me for buying grains!!  I ate some crackers and they were okay.  Were they the best thing I ever tasted and I could not believe I went 9 whole weeks without them?  Yeah…. Not really.

Recipe for today:  Chocolate Salted Pears
I was going to make these for Thanksgiving but the pears were not ripe enough, so I made them this weekend.  A nice delicious snack for the season!  From http://www.health-bent.com/.

photo.JPG
Chocolate Salted Pears
Ingredients
1/2 lemon
4 ripe pears
1 cup chocolate chips
flake salt

Directions
Get out a baking sheet and line it with parchment paper or a silicone pat. Cut, core and slice your pears.

Squeeze the lemon over the pears and toss to coat–helps keep the pears from turning brown.

Place chocolate chips in a glass (or heat safe) bowl and place over a soup pot that you’ve filled halfway full of water. Place the pot over medium-high heat. Whisk the chocolate until completely melted and then turn the heat off. Dip the pears into the melted chocolate and lay them on your prepared baking sheet. Sprinkle with salt.

Place the baking sheet in the fridge until the chocolate has re-hardened, about 15 minutes should do it.

~ Savannah FitNut aka Morgan McNeal

No comments:

Post a Comment