Tuesday, January 8, 2013

New Christmas Presents in Action


Yummy Apples


Not sure about you, but I have certainly been enjoying all my Christmas presents.  My new Crossfit sneakers are amazing!  I love them and am kinda sad I have been going all this time without them.   Sometimes, they look like they are suited for a midget, but I still love them.  Also, I received a Himalayan salt block for cooking.  Amazing!  My husband grilled a steak on it and it was delicious, and not too salty.  I definitely recommend looking into it as a way to add variety to your cooking.  And lastly, we just tried our new dehydrator this weekend and made apple chips.   We sprinkled a little cinnamon on some of the slices and a little unsweetened cocoa powder on the others.  It did take a little while to dehydrate them (probably about 10 hours), but they were delicious.  We used 4 really large red delicious apples which made quite a few chips.   The process consisted of cutting up the apples into thin slices, putting them on the dehydrator trays and putting them in the dehydrator, easy as can be!  We are going to try banana chips next weekend.

Yummy Apple Chips with Cinnamon and Cocoa

In other news, now that I have had a full week in 2013, I have decided I am NOT adjusting my goals I set out in my previous post even though some of them may be very difficult.  I think the hardest ones are going to be to do 90% of Crossfit workouts at the prescribed weight and to do pull-ups.  I already read one book in the 1st week and we only ate out one time last week (for a 95% rate of cooking meals in the home).

Pretty CF Shoes
I read an interesting article this weekend regarding what is the best diet to follow.  The article discussed all the diets we have out there, low carb, low fat, high carb, don’t eat this, eat a lot of that, drink lemon juice every day……bleh, bleh.  Research shows most of these fad diets DO NOT WORK…. Although you probably already know that.  What does work is incorporating the principles a lot of the diets have in common.

Here are the 5 guidelines I think are most prevalent in all the published diets out there and that I recommend (P.S.  I am not a doctor, although maybe someday J).
  1. Drink water and lots of it.
  2. Eat more vegetables.  Green, purple, red, just eat more of these.
  3. Eat fruit, but not for every meal.
  4. Eliminate (or drastically reduce) white anything.  White flour, white pasta, white sugar – throw it out of the house.
  5. Eliminate (or drastically reduce) eating processed food.  It is not good for you.  A good rule of thumb is the 5-ingredient rule.  Read the ingredients and if it has more than 5 ingredients, reconsider eating it, especially if any of the ingredients are weird chemicals you cannot pronounce or have never heard of.


~ Savannah FitNut aka Morgan McNeal

No comments:

Post a Comment