Friday, April 12, 2013

Chicken Nuggets


Spring is here!!  Wahoo!  I was very busy this weekend enjoying the spring weather.  I planted my very first garden.  Cucumbers, squash, tomatoes, cilantro, basil, and some other herbs, I cannot remember them all.  I hope I can actually grow a few vegetables.  I would hate to have nothing to show for at the end of the season, haha.  I also decided to buy a compost bin, well make my own for outside and purchased a small one for the countertop.  I am excited to see how it works out.

I am currently reading “Kick your Fat in the Nuts.”  The title was pretty amusing, so I decided to give it a read.  It is interesting thus far and I will be sure to summarize when I am done reading.  So far, there has been a bit of good advice, but there is also a lot of talk of testing your pH and finding any imbalances you may have.  I will have to read more and then decide if I want to check my pH and other body indicators, that just sounds weird.

Recipe for this week is healthy chicken nuggets.  The coating is made with almonds and coconut.  I dipped them in mustard, but the link also includes a healthy BBQ sauce.  Enjoy! 
 












Paleo Chicken Nuggets from MultiplyDelicious (slightly altered from the website recipe)
Ingredients
1 lb ground chicken
1 egg yolk
½ cup almonds or ½ cup almond flour
½  tsp garlic powder
½ tsp onion powder
Salt, pepper to taste
Coconut oil

In separate bowl for dipping mixture:
½  cup almonds or ½ cup almond flour
½ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
Salt, pepper to taste

Instructions
  1. Combine ground chicken, ½ cup almond flour, onion powder, garlic powder, egg yolk and salt & pepper. 
  2. In a sauté pan, melt coconut oil on medium heat. 
  3. Take about 2 tablespoons worth of the chicken mixture and roll into a ball and then coat with the coconut and almond mixture.  Repeat with the remaining chicken.  You should make about 15 to 18 chicken nugget/balls.
  4. In small batches, place nuggets into heated coconut oil and cook on each side for about 3 to 4 minutes.  Transfer nuggets to a parchment lined bake pan and place in oven for 4 to 5 minutes to allow the chicken to cook through.  Repeat with the remaining chicken nuggets.


~ Savannah FitNut aka Morgan McNeal

No comments:

Post a Comment