Sunday, August 4, 2013

Birth Month, Celebrations, and Salsa Verde

What a weird title, which does not go together.  Haha, whatever, the title is informative after all August is my birth month!  Some people celebrate their birthday, I celebrate my birth month.  Official birthday is 8/8 and this year is a big one – the big 3-0!  30 years old, omg!  I do not think I will feel different though, and I must say I am happy with where I am in life right now.  My husband and I both have good jobs and we make the most of living on the coast.  We have lots of friends in Savannah and we are always doing something.  There is very little downtime around these parts. (Does that sound Southern, haha?)

I went to Miami last weekend to celebrate with my girlfriends.  It was a lot of fun.  There were a lot of laughs, good food, dancing, late nights, and yes, a little too much alcohol.  But it was a celebration and I thoroughly enjoyed it.  I had a drink called “My Beets are fresh.”  It was made with yellow beets, passion fruit juice, cilantro, jalapeno, and tequila.  It was absolutely delicious.  It even had a yellow beet in it, which I ate.

Now I am back home and ready to whip up a new recipe or two.  In my farmbag last week, I received tomatillos.  My husband made salsa verde with them and it was absolutely delicious.  You can put this on anything and it tastes good: on a salad, on top of chicken, tuna, whatever.  The steps are easy too.


Salsa Verde

Ingredients

2 lbs tomatillos, husks removed
1 habanero pepper, chopped
1 jalapeno pepper, chopped
1 Serrano pepper, chopped
1 Texas long pepper, chopped
½ bunch of cilantro
3 cloves garlic, minced
½ medium onion, chopped
1 lime
EVOO
Salt, pepper to taste

Instructions
  1. Heat iron skillet (you can use a regular pan too) over medium heat.  Lightly coat with olive oil
  2. Once skillet is hot, throw the tomatillos in and cook over medium heat for about 5 min.  The tomatillos will start to brown, so continue to move them in the skillet.  When they start to crack and are soft to the touch, they are done.  Remove from the skillet and set aside.
  3. Now roast the garlic, onion, and all the peppers (EXCEPT for the habanero and the jalapeno – the air becomes deadly if you roast these in the skillet) for about 5 minutes.
  4. Get out your handy dandy food processor and throw the tomatillos, the cilantro and the onion/pepper/garlic in.  Puree until smooth.
  5. Throw your pureed mixture into a large pot and bring to a boil.
  6. Simmer for about 20 minutes (the longer you simmer, the less spicy it will be).
  7. Remove from heat and add the juice from the lime and your salt and pepper to taste.
  8. It is best to put the salsa verde into jars and let it sit for about 24 hours.  Delicious!


~ Savannah FitNut aka Morgan McNeal


No comments:

Post a Comment