Saturday, October 5, 2013

Being Healthy and Zucchini Noodles

I posted on this blog for the first time on September 11, 2012.  A year later, and I am still enjoying it.  I never want it to become another item on my to-do list.  For me, this blog allows me to update whoever cares on what’s currently going on with me, and hopefully provides a few new healthy recipes to try.  I also do not know everything, so whatever I write is based on my opinion alone, the things I like to eat, like to do, etc.  My college degree is in engineering and the only “formal” education I have related to fitness and nutrition are my certifications in Pilates and Les Mills RPM.   Just so you know…….
With that said, there have been numerous articles flying around the World Wide Web and even on television regarding the dangers of certain exercises, the latest being Crossfit.  Without wasting too much energy refuting the claims, I just want to summarize a news excerpt I heard on Good Morning America the other day…….
“The newest craze in fitness – Crossfit.  A workout that has a lot of varied movements, people working at a very high intensity, and is becoming very popular.  But, coming up, can Crossfit kill?”
WTF?? I almost fell on the floor laughing when I heard this!!  Really, Crossfit can kill?  That’s amazing.  I have been doing Crossfit for over a year and I have never heard of anyone dying from it.  When I ran in the Chicago Marathon in 2011, a man died…. Obvious conclusion:  Marathons kill!  Seriously, though, when did exercise become a bad thing?  I think we all just need to settle down, do what you enjoy, whether that’s running, Pilates, Yoga, or yes, Crossfit. 
My husband found this picture and I think it sums up my thoughts on “Being Healthy.”  J  Being healthy is different for everyone.  Listen to your mind; listen to your body…. And then make these delicious Italian zucchini noodles, super easy with this amazing little tool I have and very delicious.


Italian Zucchini Noodles

Ingredients
2 Medium to Large Zucchini
1 TBSP Oregano
1 TBSP Basil
2 TBSP Olive Oil
Homemade or storebought marinara sauce
Salt, Pepper to taste



Instructions
  1. Use this amazing tool to make zucchini noodles. Official name: GEFU Spirelli Spiral Cutter.
  2. Heat olive oil in a pan over medium heat.
  3. Throw in zucchini noodles, oregano, basil, salt, pepper and sauté for 5-7 minutes.
  4. Then add in your marinara sauce and stir, keeping on heat for 1-2 minutes additional.  I had some cooked chicken sausage too, so I threw that in there.
  5. Enjoy!



~ Savannah FitNut aka Morgan McNeal

No comments:

Post a Comment