Thursday, November 1, 2012

My Very First Rant on my Blog!


I know a lot of people use their blogs to rant about this and that.  Initially, I did not want my blog to be a place for ranting, but I can change my mind.  If you don’t like it, stop reading and go clean your house or something, haha, just kidding, keep reading.

So here it goes: 1st rant:  I recently read an article entitled “Why Women Can’t Do Pull-Ups” on the NY Times webpage.  If you would like to read the article in full, here is the link.  Or don’t waste your time, because it is a horrible article…. The comments are pretty good though.

I will summarize the article for you.  Women cannot do pull-ups because a study was completed in Dayton, OH with 17 normal weight women who for 3 days per week for 3 months lifted weights to try and strengthen biceps and the latissimus dorsi, and at the end of the 3 months, only 4 could do a pull-up, so the obvious conclusion here is that all women cannot do pull-ups.  I think the most hilarious part of the article is the quote from the professor who conducted the study: “I look at a volleyball player and wouldn’t expect her to be able to do a pull-up, but I know she’s fit.”  Hahahaaa, sorry Mr. Professor, when I look at people, I automatically do not think about whether or not they can do a pull-up.

The worst part of this article is a woman wrote it!  Oh and the picture that headlined it.  The two women on the end look as though they are in agony!

Picture for the article "Why Woman Can't Do Pullups"
Here is a novel idea.  If you are a woman and want to do pull-ups, start practicing pull-ups.  If you are a man and want to put your foot behind your head, start doing yoga.  The point is there are many goals you can accomplish if you set out to accomplish them.  I do not look like a runner, and the aforementioned Mr. Professor may look at me and automatically think I am not a sub 4-hr marathoner…. BUT I AM!  Why?  Because I trained for it, had a goal in mind, ran in the sun and the rain, ran with sore muscles, woke up when I wanted to stay in bed, and oh yeah, ran a lot!

Can we stop telling people what they cannot do, fitness related or not?  Whenever I tell people I am completing the Paleo challenge and I do not eat grains or dairy, their first response is “Oh, I could never do that.”  Really?!?!  If your life depended on it or if I was going to cut off your leg, you would still stuff your face with a pint of Ben and Jerry’s.  Come on, that is not true!  For the record, I am not going to cut anyone’s leg off for eating Ben and Jerry’s.  Seriously though, take can’t and cannot out of your vocabulary!!  

~ Savannah FitNut aka Morgan McNeal

No comments:

Post a Comment