Sunday, November 4, 2012

Rockin' and Rollin'


Yesterday was the Savannah Rock and Roll Marathon and half marathon, a race that I signed up for a few weeks before my injury.  And obviously, I was not able to run this year.  Lucky for me, our new house had a front row seat to the entire race (sense the sarcasm… it is awful watching everyone run!).

According to the Savannah newspaper, there were approximately 17,000 people running the race this year.  I think that is great!  It is awesome to see running events have become such popular events across the nation.  For the 2012 Chicago marathon, 45,000 participant slots sold out in 3 days!  More and more people are setting out to hit the pavement every day.

The reason it is great is because races attract people of various fitness levels and at the end, you have free beer!  Most runners have a goal in mind for a particular race and they are ecstatic when they reach that goal, whether it is a 7:00 min mile or a 10:00 min mile pace.  THAT is what it is about.  Setting a goal and reaching it.  I know I mentioned the same thing in my previous post, but it is important.  Whether you are a runner, a Crossfitter, an aerobic stepper (think spandex and leg warmers!), or all of the above, set goals to achieve.

1st place half marathon finisher - 1:05




I am already setting goals for post injury Morgan, both fitness and nutrition related.  I know getting back to running will be slow, so I will focus on other goals, not centralized around running.  Maybe pull-ups, overhead squats, and push presses! J  I will improve though in what I set out to do and next year, when the Rock and Roll Marathon comes back in town, I am shooting for a 1:40 half marathon, 8 minutes less than my current PR!

~ Savannah FitNut aka Morgan McNeal

No comments:

Post a Comment