Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Favorite Recipe Websites


I am always in search of new recipes.  My gym is starting another Paleo Challenge in March, and I need to be sure to have recipes in my repertoire.  I have recently started using Pinterest a lot more, even though I have been signed up for a while.  However, there are a few go-to websites I always browse because the recipes are always delicious. 

Here are 5 of my go-to recipe websites:
  1. www.paleomg.com – Hilarious posts and wonderful recipes
  2. http://www.health-bent.com/ - CF couple concerned with eating real food – mostly Paleo recipes
  3. http://paleofood.com/ - Just recipes.  Everything from beverages to dehydrating.
  4. http://www.marksdailyapple.com/ - I read this more for the articles, but the recipes are good as well.  Every Saturday, there is a new recipe posted.
  5. http://punchfork.com/paleo - Similar to Pinterest for recipes – And that is why the site is shutting down March 15, 2013 because they have been acquired by Pinterest. J


The one recipe I love is Roasted Garlic Red Pepper Pesto Tilapia from www.paleomg.com.  It is easy to make as long as you have a food processor.  There are always leftovers and if you do not mind stinking up the office, you can bring for lunch. Below is the recipe, although I did alter the steps a little bit.

Roasted Garlic Red Pepper Pesto Tilapia

Ingredients
1lb tilapia
½ cup blanched almonds (Check the baking aisle)
1 bundle cilantro, stems removed
½ 7oz jar of roasted red peppers
6-8 garlic cloves
2 zucchini, chopped (I usually use 2 really large zucchini to ensure I have lots of veggies)
1 red onion, chopped
1 orange pepper, chopped
1 teaspoon paprika
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons pepper
½ teaspoon onion powder
EVOO

Instructions
  1. Season fish on both sides with 1 teaspoon paprika, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1 teaspoon pepper, and set aside.
  2. Roast the garlic (try not to skip this step; it does give the dish a little bit of extra flavor).  If you are in a rush, just throw in some minced garlic out of the jar.
  3. When your garlic cloves are done roasting, add the cloves along with your cilantro, roasted red peppers, and blanched almonds to a food processor. Once all the ingredients are incorporated, slowly start pouring in the salt, pepper, and onion powder.  You can add olive oil if you want, but there is usually enough liquid from the roasted red peppers, that I do not need to use any EVOO.
  4. With the red pepper pesto done, add your veggies to a pan (I use my wok) with EVOO, toss with a bit of salt and pepper.  Allow the veggies to cook thoroughly.  Once they are cooked, add about half of the garlic red pepper pesto to the veggies. Cover, place on low heat, and let simmer for 7-9 minutes until veggies are soft.
  5. While the veggies finish cooking, cook your fish. I always cook it on the grill, but you can bake it at 400° for about 15 minutes (or until it is flaky).  You also have the option to cook in a pan over medium-high heat for 3 minutes per side.
  6. Once fish is done cooking, add veggies to a plate, top with your tilapia and add a bit more of the leftover garlic red pepper pesto on top of the fish.



In other news, I had grilled avocado for the 1st time this weekend, absolutely delicious.  It was topped with a little bit of spicy salsa.  Excellent side dish!


~ Savannah FitNut aka Morgan McNeal

No comments:

Post a Comment