Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Roasted Cabbage with Red Onions


The 5K is done.  I did not do as well as I had hoped, but I still placed 2nd in my age group and ran sub 8-min miles for 3.1 miles.  While I was running the race in the rain, I did realize how much I have been missing running.  I did not run with my iPod, but just took in all the scenery of the historic district in Savannah (most of which I have driven by, but it is always different when you are running).  With the weather getting nicer, I will probably be pounding the pavement a little more.

Beginning March 1st, my gym is starting a Paleo Challenge.  It feels as though the other challenge was not that long ago, but I guess it was about 3 months ago already.  Time flies!  My gym is offering a lot of cool prizes if you win and there are a lot of different ways to earn points, such as posting Paleo recipes on Pinterest, daily entries on a food log, completing workouts five times per week, and ensuring at least one restorative activity per week.  In addition to the food guidelines, there are also sleep guidelines.  It has taken me awhile to realize how important sleep is to your overall health.  I try to sleep 8 hours per night, but sometimes it is less.  For the challenge, I will be tracking my sleep, not simply duration, but quality too.

And now on to the food part of the post…… I really enjoy eating cabbage.  This is a recent thing.  However, the cost of it and the nutritional value cannot be beat.  I have made chicken curry with cabbage, and cabbage soup, but this week, I simply roasted it in the oven with red onions, salt, pepper, and olive oil.  I let it burn a little, but that made it even yummier!


Roasted Cabbage with Red Onions
Ingredients
1 Small Head Green Cabbage
1 Red Onion
Salt and Pepper to taste
Olive Oil

Instructions
Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
Chop the cabbage and red onion into pieces (big or small, doesn’t matter).
Toss the cabbage and red onion with olive oil, salt, and pepper.
Place the mixture on a greased baking sheet and roast for about 15 - 20 min (keep an eye on it – you do not want it to burn too bad).

~ Savannah FitNut aka Morgan McNeal

No comments:

Post a Comment