Monday, March 4, 2013

Old Ladies at the Grocery Store

Crab Stuffed Portabella with Asparagus

I am not sure if this is a Georgia thing or what, but does anyone else have random old ladies rummage through your cart and comment on the items you are buying.  This has happened to me numerous times in the past few months.  I am not knocking on the old ladies of GA, but recently, this has been my experience.  Last weekend, I was waiting to buy fish at the counter and an older woman stops at my cart and comments “Wow, you eat very healthy.”  I told her “I try,” as she began leafing through my cart to see what other items I was about to purchase.  As she laid her eyes upon the huge bag of baby spinach, we went into a 10 minute conversation on whether or not she should put spinach in her smoothies.  I tried to convince her she would not taste it at all.  She then began to give me various recipes of smoothies and ask if she could add spinach to those.  “Blueberries, milk, and spinach?”  Yes!  “Strawberries, almond milk, and spinach?” Yes!  “Bananas, peanut butter, coconut milk, and spinach?”  Yes, yes, yes!  She wanted to know if her smoothies would turn green.  I told her in some cases, depending on the amount of spinach she put in it.  After the spinach talk, we then turned to kale.  I am pretty sure I convinced her to eat more kale.  J 

In my previous post, I mentioned my Gym’s paleo challenge starting March 1st.  It is in full swing now and I am three days into it.  All is well, no cheats yet.  I spent about two hours yesterday making food for the week.  I roasted vegetables, grilled chicken, dehydrated sweet potatoes to make chips, and made egg muffins.  All in all, not too much time to have most meals prepared for the week.

The recipe I wanted to share this week is a really easy one.  Might want to use it for a special occasion, because you want to buy the real crab meat and it is a little expensive.

Crab Stuffed Portabella
Ingredients
1 cup crab meat (please do not buy imitation)
2 Portabella Mushrooms
½ small onion, diced
1 green pepper, diced
2 tsp minced garlic
Salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes to taste
EVOO

Instructions
Preheat the oven to Broil.
Remove the stems and gills from the mushrooms so you have room to stuff them.
While the oven is heating up, heat up the olive oil in a pan on medium heat.  When the oil has heated, add the garlic, onions, and peppers.  Allow them to caramelize, this can take 10 minutes.  After this has caramelized, add the crab meat and the rest of the ingredients (not the mushrooms) into the pan and mix it all together.
On a greased cookie sheet, brush the mushrooms with EVOO and place in the oven for 5-7 minutes.  That will flatten out and get smaller.
Remove the mushrooms from the oven and place the crab meat mixture on top.  Broil for another 5-7 minutes.
Enjoy!

~ Savannah FitNut aka Morgan McNeal

No comments:

Post a Comment