Thursday, March 7, 2013

Mashed Cauliflower


I always stress to anyone looking to change their diet that planning is a very important piece of the puzzle.  I have been a little lax on the whole planning piece recently, but this week I decided to be a good little planner.  On Saturday before going to the grocery store, I checked out a few recipe blogs, and my binder full of recipes.  From that, I chose the dinners I was going to make for the week.  Wrote them down and published them to my husband, haha.  He likes to know what to expect for dinner.  It did not take very long to do the planning and ensured I had all the ingredients needed for my Sunday Cookathon.  I know everyone hates having to run to the grocery store because you forgot a key ingredient.  It was also 50 degrees in Savannah on Sunday, and I was not going outside!  Brrrrrrr!

I spent $165.21 on groceries for the week.  The amount of food I bought is enough to feed my husband and me for a week for all meals and snacks.  If I break it down and assume 3 meals per day, it equates to $3.93 per person per meal.  Could I spend less?  Yes.  However, I buy grass-fed meats, wild-caught fish, and some organic fruits and vegetables.  It is money I am willing to spend.

Cauliflower was on sale for $2.00 per head this week.  It was not organic (it is not on the dirty dozen list).  I bought 4 heads.  I steamed two heads to have to take to work for lunch.  I also used one head to make mashed cauliflower.  I absolutely love mashed cauliflower.  It is easy to make, tastes delicious, and is a side that goes with a lot of main dishes.  I have used frozen cauliflower to make it before, but I have found the dish is much creamier when I use fresh cauliflower.  We had it alongside turkey burgers and it was a great meal!


Mashed Cauliflower

Ingredients
1 Head of Cauliflower
1 heaping spoonful of minced garlic
1 cup Coconut milk
1 TBSP coconut oil or EVOO
1 TBSP Italian Seasoning
Salt, Pepper to taste


Instructions
  1. Cook the cauliflower.  Steam it; microwave it, whatever you want to do.
  2. While the cauliflower is cooking, add garlic, coconut milk, oil, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper to a bowl.  Heat in microwave for about 1 min.
  3. When the cauliflower is done, throw it in the food processor along with the rest of the heated ingredients.
  4. Let the food processor mix it all up and voila!  Mashed Cauliflower.


Note: This does not taste like mashed potatoes.  It tastes like cauliflower, but believe me, it is delicious!



~ Savannah FitNut aka Morgan McNeal

No comments:

Post a Comment