Friday, May 3, 2013

Beach Time Bliss and a Raw Dessert

Cilantro for Cinco de Mayo!
I have to say goodbye to April and hello to May, which when you live in Georgia means it is about summertime.  Soon, the weekends will be spent at the beach and my skin will turn a nice shade of brown.  Don’t worry, I will be wearing my sunscreen, but when you live at the beach, you are bound to get a little sun.  I am quite happy about this, as my white legs are starting to annoy me.  Haha.

My husband and I took a mini vacation to Chattanooga this past weekend.  We had planned to do a little trail running and simply unplug.  We stayed at a place called “Cabin in the Clouds.”  I booked it through VRBO.  It was a really cute cabin and had a great view.  However, it rained all weekend.  Kinda torrential downpour type of rain.  On Saturday, we did a little trail running and we were quite wet and muddy when we finished.  Sunday though, we had planned to go to the aquarium, but instead, stayed in our pajamas and watched movies all day.  It was a much needed getaway.

I was worried about my garden since I was away for the weekend, and it did not seem as though Savannah had the same downpour that Chattanooga had.  But luckily, everything still looks good.  I still need to buy stakes since the plants are growing taller and taller every day.


Recipe this week is a raw dessert.  While I was in Chattanooga, I was leafing through one of the magazines that were left behind and I found this amazing recipe.  I have no idea what the magazine was, so sorry for stealing the recipe, but it is too good not to share.  Enjoy!

Bliss Cup
Ingredients
¾ cup pitted dates (about 16)
3.5 cups of water
1 cup raw cashews
2 TBSP vanilla extract
½ tsp sea salt
3 avocados – peeled, pitted, and mashed
¾ cup raw carob powder
1 pint raspberries
1 TBSP agave nectar (optional) - I did not use it, raspberries were sweet enough.

Instructions
  1.  Soak dates in 1.5 cups of water for 20 min.  Drain and reserve the date water.
  2. Soak raw cashews in 2 cups of water for 20 min.  Drain and set cashews aside (you do not need to keep this water).
  3. In food processor, blend ½ cup dates, half of vanilla, and half of salt until smooth.  Add mashed avocados and process until smooth.  Add carob powder and 1-2 TBSP of reserved date water.  Blend into smooth mousse.  Set aside.
  4. In blender, combine cashews, remaining dates, vanilla extract, and salt and ½ cup date soaking water.  Blend until you get smooth cream.
  5. Mix raspberries with agave in separate bowl.  The agave is optional though.
  6. To assemble, spoon ½ cup of mousse into bottom of parfait glass.  Follow with ¼ cup of berry mixture, and then ¼ cup of cream.

** Makes 4 servings


~ Savannah FitNut aka Morgan McNeal

No comments:

Post a Comment