Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Radishes, Jicama, I am trying new things!


I think I am open-minded when it comes to trying new foods.   However, when it comes to vegetables, I was almost certain I have tried all there is to try….. And then the other day I was on Pinterest and low and behold, a recipe for roasted radishes.  Radishes?  Hmmm, I have only seen those on salads and I never buy them.  I do not really enjoy the bitter taste.  From the reviews of the recipe though, I thought I would give it a try.  The recipe was simple enough and a 16-oz bag of radishes was $1.29, so I thought why not give it a try?  I am glad I did!  The roasted radishes were very good (however, some of the reviews stated they tasted like potatoes…. I did not agree with that, haha).

Also, a few months ago when I was in San Diego, I went to a restaurant and enjoyed a spicy shrimp burrito in a jicama shell.  It was tasty, but when I returned back home, I never looked for it, because I really had no idea what it was.  Then, our friend invited us over for dinner and she had raw jicama cut up.  Again, another amazing vegetable I have been missing out on.  Often referred to as a “Mexican turnip,” it looks like a white potato. You can cook jicama too, but I have been eating it raw.  It has mild sweet taste, but is good for dipping into homemade guacamole.

I decided I need a week off from work to make all the recipes I have saved, printed out, emailed myself, etc.  Honestly, I must have about 50 that I really want to try making, and just not enough time to make it all.  Do you think my boss will be okay with that?  Probably not, haha.  Oh, and I also just received a new cookbook from Juli Bauer of www.paleomg.com which has a bunch more recipes I need to make.  I am glad the radish recipe is easy to make and takes no time at all…. Leaves me time to make lots of other things (I miss my double oven!). 


Roasted Radishes

Ingredients
1 – 16 oz. bag of radishes
Olive Oil
Salt, pepper to taste
** Experiment with this, try different herbs and see how they turn out.  I used some fresh thyme from the garden and it was very good.

Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 455 degrees.  Place a piece of aluminum foil on a baking sheet (helps with easy clean up).
  2. Toss radishes with olive oil, salt, and pepper in a bowl to coat.
  3. Spread the radishes on the aluminum foil lined baking sheet in an even single layer.
  4. Roast for 20-30 minutes.  Check on them frequently and give them a little stir to prevent burning.
  5. When the radishes are a little brown, wrinkled, and soft, they are done.
  6. Enjoy!


~ Savannah FitNut aka Morgan McNeal

No comments:

Post a Comment