Thursday, May 16, 2013

Spinach Turkey Patties


First beach visit of the season is complete with many more to come. Why doesn't everyone live near the beach? It was so relaxing sitting on the sand with the sun beaming down on me absorbing lots of vitamin D. I wore sunscreen although may have forgotten to reapply after we were there 8 hours. Now I have my base tan. No lectures please about me being a sun worshiper.  People think I look 6 years younger than I am, so when I quickly get wrinkles or whatever, I may look my age.  I look better tan, it makes my teeth look whiter. I think I will be back at the beach this weekend. Be jealous, it's okay.

I did a bit of traveling this week for work, just to Atlanta. Because I drove, I was able to pack healthy items. My hotel room also had a fridge, so I was able to buy some groceries at the local market, instead of eating out for every meal. I went to Whole Foods and honestly, cannot wait till they open in Savannah. They are scheduled to open in September and every time I drive by the site, it looks as though they are making progress. I'm excited!! Why? Because I need a place for better foods. I want good grass fed meats, more options for organic produce, and their smoothies are really yummy. Also, I think with the addition of Whole Foods, we (Georgia, haha) are providing more access to healthy foods. Don't get me wrong, I do not believe everything Whole Foods sells is absolutely healthy, but it does provide a lot of options.

Speaking of smoothies, I know I throw lots of spinach in my smoothies to make sure I am eating lots of greens.  I usually buy a huge container of baby spinach each week and sometimes, I need to use it quick.  So this week, I decided to throw a huge amount into some turkey patties.  Yum yum!  Also, sprinkled some bacon on top for garnish, haha.  Right, the only reason I ate bacon was as a garnish.  Biggest Lie Ever!


Spinach Turkey Patties

Ingredients
1 lb ground turkey
1/2 cup egg whites
3 cups of spinach
1 TBSP Cumin
1 TBSP Chili Powder
1 TBSP Red Pepper Flakes
1 tsp minced garlic
4 slices cooked crispy bacon, broken into small pieces
Olive Oil
Salt, pepper to taste

Instructions
  1. In a large skillet over medium heat, throw your spinach in with a little salt, pepper, and olive oil.  Sauté until spinach is wilted.
  2. In a large bowl, mix all your ingredients including your wilted spinach.
  3. Form small patties from mixture and cook over medium heat, turning once.
  4. Garnish with bacon.  J
  5. Enjoy!


~ Savannah FitNut aka Morgan McNeal

No comments:

Post a Comment